The Inwales

The sun came out again.


The azaleas are blooming. There are three on the property. A white , a red and a pink. A neighbor told us they were planted by the previous owner over 50 years ago. When the bloom they are magnificent.


Added the daggerboard trunk and the mast step.



Clematis
 Now it gets busy. Adding the inwales. The inwales are the opposite of the outwales. They are rails on the interior of the boat. Traditionally they would be rails over the ends of the individual ribs that act as a frame. Since I am using stitch and glue construction the boat has no ribs so I am going to fake it. The addition of inwales is strictly aesthetic in this case except for providing a handy place to tie things to. I want to add them to give the boat a traditional look.






Once again this job is going to take a lot of clamps. I have to cut about 70 blocks 2" long and glue them on spaced 3" apart. Then take a long strip and glue that over the blocks. Several steps and more than a few clamps.




This job had a certain pucker factor. I had to cut a slot for the daggerboard to come through the bottom of the hull. It actually wasn't bad. I located the center of the daggerboard trunk between the mounting screws then drilled a hole and used a router with a trim bit and followed the interior of the trunk.
 A rainy sunday again so my wife and I took a trip the Philadelphia Museum of Art and also the Barnes Museum. My wife paints with oils and acrylics and we went to check some things out.
 I know what I like and I know what I don't.


Finally I have to sand the shiny epoxy finish down to a smooth uniform surface to prep it for paint.


Comments