Stitching up the hull


Time to get started.

Our house is almost 100 years old. It has no driveway or garage a tiny front yard and a pavement path on the side that leads to the back. I have no choice but to build it in the backyard. I'll worry about getting it out after I build it.



I built a couple of sturdy  work horses and set them up on the small patch of lawn. It is a beautiful spring morning and a week of nice weather in the forecast. I carry the bottom and the side planks, (strakes) up the steep steps and through my basement Bilco doors. 




Its call stitch and glue construction. As the name implies you stitch the hull together using copper wire then fill in the seems with industial two part epoxy. The glue. There is no internal framework to build on and no internal support except four plywood bulkheads (walls).


The bulkheads







The copper wire stitches, There are hundreds of them.







The hull all stitched together.

Comments