Picked up the kit


I drove down to the quaint nautical town of Annapolis MD, home of the US Naval Academy and Chesapeake Light Craft. After a quick visit to the warehouse to load several flat boxes containing the makings of my boat I went around to their small showroom to see what a finished dory is supposed to look like. Yeah it looks pretty good and I wonder if I'm going to be able to make one that good. I am not going to include any pics of the demo boat though, you're just going to have to wait to see mine.

The pic above you see a majority of parts. You can see some boards have jigsaw ends. The two pieces against the wall are the two halves of the bottom. I also got two gallons of industrial epoxy to glue it all together.


So the glue up begins. There are eight long planks, each consist of three pieces plus the two piece bottom that have to be glued (epoxied) together to start. I line up my table saw, workbench and a ladder to keep them level while they are glued up then screw clamps down to hold them in place. I have to do all this in a small, low ceiling workshop in my basement. Not ideal but I do not have a garage or even a driveway. The longest of these planks (called strakes) is over 18 feet long.



Comments